Call us Toll Free at 866-455-3997
Stabilant 22 Contact Enhancer Technical Notes
Tech. Note 5 - Material Safety Data Sheet - Stabilant 22 E
Material Safety Data Sheet - Stabilant 22E ™ - Expires 01/02/2015
Manufactured by.- D.W. ELECTROCHEMICALS LTD
- 3-97 Newkirk Road North, (Unit 3)
- Richmond Hill, Ontario L4C 3G4
- Phone: (905) 508-7500
- Fax: (905) 508-7502
|SOME FIRE HAZARD SOME HEALTH HAZARD|
(WHMIS Classification B-2, D-2B)
HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS:PHYSICAL DATA
- Name: Stabilant 22E - (No synonyms
- Product Use: Electric Contact Enhancer
- Family: 80% Alcohol - 20% Polyglycol
- Family Name & Identity
- 80% Ethanol [Fire & Some Health Hazard - CAS 64-17-5
- 20% Stabilant 22 -[No Fire or Health Hazard] - falls under CAS 9003-11-6(a Modified Polyoxypropylene-Polyoxyethylene Block Polymer of the, PolyglycolFamily
FIRE & EXPLOSION HAZARDS
- Physical State: Liquid
- Appearance: Thin clear liquid
- Odor: Sharp alcohol odor
- Odor Threshold: No Data
- Melting Point: -89º Celsius
- Boiling Point: 82.4º Celsius
- Specific Gravity: 0.838
- Decomposition Temp: No Tests Run
- Solubility in water: >500 grams/liter
- Viscosity: No Tests Run
- Vapor Density: 2.01
- Vapor Pressure(mm): 33 mmHg @ 20º Celsius
- Evaporation Rate: No Tests Run
- Refractive Index: No Tests Run
- Coefficient of Water/oil distribution: No Tests Run
- pH: Not Applicable
HEALTH EFFECTS DATA
- Upper Explosion Limit (% by Volume): 19.0
- Lower Explosion Limit (% by Volume): 3.3
- Autoignition Temperature: 422º Celsius
- Flash Point [Method]: 13° Celsius [Tag C.C.]
- Hazardous Combustion Products: No Data
- Extinguishing Media: Water fog, C02, Foam, Dry Chemical
- Special Procedures: Do not use direct water stream as this couldspread the fire. Self Contained Breathing Apparatus should be used whenfighting a fire in a confined area or when exposed to contamination products.
- Explosion Data - Sensitivity to impact: No Tests Run
- Sensitivity to Static Discharge: No Tests Run
- Unusual Fire & Explosion Hazards: Improperly Disposed of Stabilantsoaked combustible materials might be subject to spontaneous combustion.Heat may build internal pressure in container, leading to rupture of container.
As the material is 80% ethanol it exhibits all of the health hazardsof ethanol but to a lesser degree. The lower concentration of the ethanolmitigates the defatting and drying effects of the near absolute alcohol'son the skin although there is still a hazard on eye contact. If the containerof Stabilant 22E is left uncapped for extended periods at normal room temperatures,the ethanol will evaporate reducing the hazards somewhat. When appliedto contacts the ethanol will evaporate leaving the nonvolatile portionof the material (Stabilant 22) on the surfaces, and reference should bemade to the MSDS for Stabilant 22 as to the potential hazards of that product.REACTIVITY DATA
- LD50 (oral, rat): 7000 mg/kg
- Skin irritation: The material is a mild irritant and may cause defattingand drying of the skin.
- Prolonged Skin Exposure: Prolonged and repeated contact may causedermatitis.
- First Aid on Skin Exposure: Major spills on clothing require removalof contaminated clothing, then flush area with running water and wash withsoap and water. Small area contact, wash with running water, then soapand water. Obtain medical advice.
- Eye irritation: The vapor is a mild irritant which may cause conjunctivitisand corneal damage. The liquid is a severe eye irritant which may causepermanent eye damage.
- First Aid on Eye Exposure: Flush eyes with running water for atleast 20 minutes holding eyelids open. Obtain medicalattention immediately! Treat for ethanol exposure.
- Exposure when Inhaled: May cause irritation of the eyes, nose andthroat and of the respiratory tract. Overexposure could cause Central NervousSystem Depression characterized by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea,vomiting, abdominal pain and incoordination. Severe overexposure couldlead to coma and possibly death due to respiratory failure. Remove to freshair. If not breathing give artificial respiration. Obtainmedical attention immediately.
- First Aid oral ingestion: If victim is alert and not convulsing,rinse out mouth and give 1/2 to 1 glass of water to dilute material. DONOT induce vomiting. If spontaneous vomiting occurs, have victimlean forward with head down to avoid breathing in of vomitus, rinse mouthand administer more water--Transport victim toan emergency facility IMMEDIATELY!
- Emergency Medical Care: Extreme care must be taken to avoid aspirationof product into lungs, which may result in pulmonary edema.
- Exposure Limits: No Tests Run
- Sensitization to Material: Limited tests indicate no sensitizationeffects
- Carcinogenicity: None Known.
- Reproductive Effects: No Tests Run.
- Tetratogenicity: No Tests Run.
- Mutagenicity: No Tests Run.
- Synergistic Materials: None Known.
- Stability under normal conditions: Stable
- Stability under fire conditions: Flammable
- Conditions to avoid: Excessive Temperatures, sparks, open flamesand all other sources of ignition.
- Incomparability: Strong oxidizers, also may react with aluminumat high temperatures
- Hazardous Decomposition Products: CO, C02
- Hazardous Polymerization or Reactivity: Avoid oxidizing materials.Can react violently with potassium oxides and potassium. Can ignite incontact with platinum black catalyst.
ENGINEERING CONTROLS & SPECIAL PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Biodegradability: No Tests Run - No Data
- Fish Toxicity: Harmful to aquatic life at low concentrations. Noquantitative data known.
- Bacterial Inhibition in Influent: No Data
Note: Conditions of use, adequacy of engineering or of othercontrol measures and actual exposure will dictate the need for specificprotective devices at the workplace. The recommendations listed in thissection indicate the type of equipment which will prevent overexposureto the product.
SPECIAL STORAGE PRECAUTIONS
- Ventilation: Where the material is being applied by swab or smallbrush, or from a dropper bottle, it is highly unlikely that sufficientair concentration of the ethanol could occur under normal ventilation suchthat a health hazard could be created. Whenever large volumes of the materialare being used (>250 mL) or whenever the continually exposed surface areaof the material is in excess of 3 ft.2 it is suggested that local exhaustventilation be provided.
- Respiratory Protection: Where small amounts are being used witha swab or small brush, or are being dispensed from a dropper bottle, respiratoryprotection is not needed under normal ventilation conditions.--Where largevolumes of the material (>250 mL) are being used or where large surfaceareas are being exposed (e.g. - dipping tanks) the use of a NIOSH/MSHAapproved air purifying respirator equipped with organic vapor cartridgesbe used if exposed to concentrations up to 1000 ppm. Use an air suppliedunit if exposed to higher or unknown concentrations. (Such as in bulk handling)
- Protective Gloves: Rubber, or Neoprene gloves should be worn whenthe handling of circuit boards or connectors requires constant skin contactwith the material.
- Eye Protection: Goggles or Face shield when there is a potentialfor eye contact.
- Footwear: Non slip when handling bulk amounts.
- Clothing: Rubber or Neoprene protective clothing when handling bulkamounts
- Other: Not required
- Bulk Handling: Ground equipment to prevent static discharge accumulationObserve physical safety procedures commensurate with the size of the containerinvolved.
SPECIAL SHIPPING DESCRIPTION (Under the TDG Act)
- Storage Procedures: Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated locationaway from strong oxidizers.
Special Shipping Information:
OTHER REGULATORY INFORMATION
- Shipping Name: Stabilant 22E - Ethanol
- NOTE.- As 80% of material is Ethanol, the material should be treatedas Ethanol for shipment using:
- PIN (Product ID#) UN 1219
- Packing Group: - II
- Class 3:
FIRST AID - EMERGENCY
- United States: The materials in this product have been reviewedand are not reportable under SARA title III
- Customs: For tariff purposes the material is classified as Semiconductor,other.Harmonized Code # 8541.50.00.80
- Eyes: Flush eyes with running water for at least 20 minutes holdingeyelids open. Obtain medical attention immediately!Treat for ethanol exposure.
- Skin: Wash with soap and water. Remove and launder contaminatedclothing before re-use. Consult a physician if irritation develops at siteof exposure.
- Ingestion: If victim is alert and not convulsing, rinse out mouthand give 1/2 to 1 glass of water to dilute material. DONOT induce vomiting! If spontaneous vomiting occurs, have victimlean forward with head down to avoid breathing in of vomitus, rinse mouthand administer more water. Transport victim to an emergency facilityIMMEDIATELY!
- Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, , give artificialrespiration. Obtain medical attention immediately!
OTHER DATA (Excluded from waiver at end of MSDS)
- Clean-up of Leaks & Spills: As spilled material is quite slipperyit should be covered with absorbent anti-skid material and cleaned up immediately.
- Disposal of Waste: This product is not a hazardous waste when discardedas defined in 40CFR261.337. This product is not a halognated solvent whenspent as defined in 40CFR261.317. This product may be incinerated togetherwith domestic waste so long as local regulations permit incineration.
- Halogen content: 0 ppm (µg/g
- Sulfur content: 0 ppm (µg/g)
- No chelating agent action.
MSDS PREPARATION DATA & EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER
- Heavy Metals: D.W. Electrochemicals Ltd. has a policy of not allowingany intentional addition of any heavy metals, such as lead, cadmium, mercury,or hexavalent chromium, or their compounds, to be used in inks or in thelabels on our packaging and requires the total concentration of these materials,if present, to be so at a level of less than 100 parts per million andwe so certify.
- RoHS Legislation Artical 4(1) pertaining to Heavy Metals in Stabilantsand other prohibited components: D.W.
Electrochemicals Ltd. has a policy of not allowing any addition ofany heavy metals, such as lead, cadmium, mercury, or
hexavalent chromium, or their compounds, to be used in the Stabilantsand requires the total concentration of these
materials, if present, to be so at a level of less than 100 parts permillion and we so certify.
- Ozone Depleting Chemicals: Because of our corporate opposition tothe use of ODC's either in the manufacture of, or as an inclusion in anyof our products, D.W. Electrochemicals Ltd. has consistently refused toprovide any of our products in aerosol spray packaging and/or to supplyany of our materials diluted with any Class 1 ODC, and we so certify.
- PCB's: We certify that this material has been subjected to testscapable of detecting PCB's to a level of less than 2 parts per millionand no PCB's have been found.
- Packaging: New standards are in place in an attempt to reduce theamount of plastics, tape and/or adhesives used and to ensure that our packagingmay be reused or recycled.
- Prepared By: Wm Wright
- Department: Engineering
- Preparation Date: Jan. 2nd, 2005
- Current Revision: Revision 11--Updated, also for inclusion inweb site
- Emergency Phone: (905) 508-7500
- Emergency Contact: Wm Wright
Patented Canada 1987, Us Patent 4696832. Others Pending.
©1997 D. W. Electrochemicals Ltd. This note may bereproduced or copied, provided its content is not altered. The term "contactenhancer" © 1983 Wright Electroacoustics.
NATO/CAGE Supplier code #38948
15 mL Stabilant 22E has NATO Stock Number 5999-21-909-9984
D.W. Electrochemicals Ltd. urges each customer or recipientof this MSDS to study it carefully to become aware of/and understand thehazards associated with the product. The reader should consider consultingreference works or individuals who are experts in ventilation, toxicologyor fire prevention, as necessary or appropriate to use and understand thedata contained in this MSDS.
To promote safe use and handling of this product, eachcustomer or recipient should (1) notify employees, agents, contractorsand others who may use this material, of the information in this MSDS andany other information regarding hazards or safety, (2) Furnish this sameinformation to each customer for the product, and (3) request customersto notify their employees, customers, and other users of the product ofthis information.
The information and recommendations contained herein arebased on data believed to be correct, however no guarantee or warrantyof any kind, expressed or implied, is made with respect to informationand recommendations contained herein except where certified.
||All prices in US dollars.
Sales tax will be added to all purchases delivered in California.
Prices, products, and specifications subject to change without notice.
All trademarks and registered trademarks are owned by their respective companies.